Thursday, April 24, 2008

Stuck in Our Heads - Vol. 13 - April 2008

Holy crap. How long does it take, huh?

I know I generally do a pretty sweet job each month of regaling you with tales of adventure and romance when I put the call out for songs stuck in your head. (I mean did you catch that one about the sparrow? That was awesome. A little heavy on the birdshit maybe, but isn't life the same way?)

I might do a marginally less awesome (not to mention, less timely) job this month because I'm on vacation. (Or, at least I was on vacation.) I probably should sit here and fret and foam about piecing together a story about my northern West Coast tour through Vancouver and Portland and Seattle. Alas, I was more keen on proceeding through my northern West Coast tour (and, subsequently, keeping my feet under me upon my return) than I was writing about it.

I wager you still don't want to hear about my five-and-a-half-hour flight from Toronto to Vancouver playing the role of sticker album for the two-year-old in the seat next to me. You're not interested in my discovery that my feet are finally too old to bounce back from six hours of aimlessly wandering around in the arch-support-devoid environment of wet Converse All-Stars. If I told you about the old man who grabbed my sleeve on the elevator to ask me about the issue of Poetry magazine in my hand before he took it and opened it to the ones he wrote, you would probably nod your head indulgently while trying to catch the bartender's eye for another drink. So, let's just admit we're both not really in to it this month, that this is the time of year that you and I - like the Forest Service - spend entirely too much time putting out fires we ourselves didn't start and get on to the important part.

However, in the interest of a little thematic continuity, yet another bird shit in my eye yesterday. (What did I do?)

One other notable development this month: a second artist has ascended to the exclusive Four from Four (4F4) circle. When I was initially trying to come up with an appropriate special designation to observe on the Playlist, I wasn't sure if the 4F4 criteria made any sense. I mean...I just pulled the rules out of the air when I noticed something that hadn't happened before.

With The Beatles as the second designee, I feel pretty confident. The Beatles and Tom Waits? That ain't bad company.


Title - Artist

Tootsie Roll - 69 Boyz
I am the Unknown - The Aliens
Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
FunPlex - The B-52s
I Fall in Love Too Easily - Chet Baker
Let's Get Lost - Chet Baker
Love Song - Sara Bareilles
Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Michelle - The Beatles
We Can Work It Out - The Beatles
Drive My Car/Runnin' with the Devil - The Beatles feat. David Lee Roth
Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
Act Nice and Gentle - The Black Keys
Holiday Roads - Lindsey Buckingham
Gangsta - Bushwalla
Bubbly - Colbie Caillait
Goin' to Acapulco - Calexico w/ Jim James
Gimme A Break Theme - Nell Carter
Chivaree - Channels
Los Angeles - Counting Crows
Love is Free - Sheryl Crow
Crimewave - Crystal Castles
See You Again - Miley Cyrus
Underground - Kimya Dawson
Love Bites - Def Leppard
Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show - Neil Diamond
Outfit - Drive-By Truckers
Free Your Mind - En Vogue
Frankie's Gun! - The Felice Brothers
Paralyzer - Finger Eleven
It's Bumper to Bumper on the Rainbow Bridge - Fisher-Price House
Peggy-O (April 10, 1978) - Grateful Dead
Electro Skeletor - Sen. Mike Gravel
On the Road to Rhode Island - Stewie and Brian Griffin
Unsung - Helmet
Generator - The Holloways
Road to Morocco - Bob Hope and Bing Crosby
Dancing with Myself - Billy Idol
My Funny Valentine - Etta James
Burning Down the House - Tom Jones & The Cardigans
Don't Stop Believin' - Journey
No One - Alicia Keys
All These Things I've Done - The Killers
Cheap and Cheerful - The Kills
Multiply - Jamie Lidell
Lou Reed - The Little Willies
4 Minutes - Madonna feat. Justin Timberlake
The Book of Love - The Magnetic Fields
Long-Forgotten Fairytale - The Magnetic Fields
Washington, D.C. - The Magnetic Fields
Mandy - Barry Manilow
I'm Gonna Find Another You - John Mayer
Freedom - George Michael
The Remedy - Jason Mraz
Ride Wit Me - Nelly
Go Places - New Pornographers
Houseguest - Nothing Painted Blue
Viva Las Vegas - Elvis Presley
Hello in There - John Prine
This Is Hardcore - Pulp
Horse to Water - REM
Umbrella - Rihanna
The Seed (2.0) - The Roots
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - Santa Esmerelda
Sentimental Heart - She and Him
The Coffee Song - Frank Sinatra
Go Speed Go - Superstar DJ Keoki
Psycho Killer - The Talking Heads
Emily - Billy Bob Thornton
All-American Girl - Carrie Underwood
M79 - Vampire Weekend
Blue Balloon - Ween
What is Fun? - The Yo Gabba Gabba Crew
Long May You Run - Neil Young

1 comment:

NicholeRemmert said...

As I was checking in to see what was Stuck in Our Heads last month (having just shared what was stuck this month) I noticed the following:

Stuck in Our Heads - Vol. 13 - April 2009

Am I to assume that this is your prediction for what will be stuck in our heads 11 months from now? (Because if I have to hear Nell Carter 11 months from now, I might stab myself in the ears.)