Monday, February 11, 2008

Stuck in Our Heads - Vol.11 - February 2008 - First Anniversary Edition

The Stuck in Our Heads Playlist Project is one year old! Okay, I know the timeline is a little funky, what with the initial playlist being jacked up and there being no March playlist at all, but are we slaves to "calendars" or "math" or such myths? I tell you today: we are not. Let's keep our eye on the ball.

I initially found myself at a loss how best to observe such a momentous occasion. After a year's investment by all of us in this endeavor, I want to commemorate it in a manner truly befitting the moment. In times like these, I turn to the one cornerstone that has given me strength all of these years. I try to see my options through the eyes of the one man who was never at a loss for conviction, and I try to follow the path I think he would choose. I asked myself, as I so often do: "What would Fred Sanford do?"

So, rinse out your paper cups and pour the champipple!

Earlier this week, I went to fetch a few ice cubes for my anniversary beverage, and I discovered - much to my dismay, although even moreso to the dismay of my once-frozen poultry - my freezer wasn't doing its job. Instead of a mountain of gleaming ice cubes, I found but a molehill of tepid water. It seems one can never fully celebrate an milestone without life jumping in and reminding you there are plenty more hurdles beyond it. I'm happy to report, however, the freezer seems to be holding its own since then.

At least I got through an entire month without breaking an iPod-brand portable media player. Hang in there, Number Five! This warm champipple's for you.

For you, fair favorite, I have, in addition to the warm champipple, some fun facts about the playlist's first year. [drum roll]

Total Songs on the Playlist: 706
Total Artists on the Playlist: (I really can't focus to count them right now. Later.)
Total Submissions: 842
Total Contributors: 133
Most Submissions in a Single Month: 116 (April 2007)
Most Contributors in a Single Month: 56 (April 2007)
Artist Submitted Most Times: Amy Winehouse (16)
Artist with Most Submitted Songs: The Police (7)
Song Submitted Most Times: Rehab by Amy Winehouse (14)
Number of Submissions I Contributed: 29
Most Submissions from a Single Contributor Who Is Not Me: 23
Number of Contributors Who Are Not Me With a Submission Every Month: 2

Submissions with the 10 Highest Play Counts According to Trusty Number Five:
10 - (tie) Philosophy by Ben Folds Five, Down South Jukin' by Lynyrd Skynyrd (27)
9 - (tie) God's Gonna Cut You Down by Johnny Cash, The Final Countdown by Europe (28)
8 - Low by Flo Rida feat. T-Pain (29)
7 - 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton (30)
6 - (tie) Show Them to Me by Rodney Carrington, Bring Your Whole Crew by DMX (31)
5 - I'm Shipping Up to Boston by Dropkick Murphys (32)
4 - Irreplaceable - Beyonce (35)
3 - (tie) Your Love by The Outfield, 50 Dollars and a Flask of Crown by Bleu Edmonson and Matt Powell (36)
2 - Rehab by Amy Winehouse (44)
1 - Smell Yo Dick by Riskay feat. Aviance and Real (56)

That's right. Rodney Carrington and DMX tied.

Good luck topping that, Year #2.


Title - Artist

Don't Turn Around – Ace of Base
Suicidal – Akon
Watching Airplanes – Gary Allan
Melissa – The Allman Brothers Band
Christmas, Don't Be Late – Alvin & the Chipmunks
Wheels on the Bus - Kyle Andrews
Love Song – Sarah Bareilles
Expectations – Belle & Sebastian
Last Goodbye – Jeff Buckley
Big Dipper – Built to Spill
Scattered Pearls – Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
Give Me One Reason – Tracy Chapman
Yakety Yak – The Coasters
Zombie – The Cranberries
Loose Lips – Kimya Dawson
So Nice So Smart – Kimya Dawson
Sacre Coeur – Tina Dico
Way Down in the Hole – Steve Earle
Michael Jackson – Fatboy Slim
100 Years – Five for Fighting
Don't Stop – Fleetwood Mac
Don't Leave Me This Way – Thelma Houston
Earth Song – Michael Jackson
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' – Michael Jackson
Cathedrals – Jump Little Children
California Girls – The Magnetic Fields
The Servant Song – The Maranatha! Singers
Jump in the Fire – Metallica
Relax, Take It Easy – Mika
Can't Get You Out of My Head – Kylie Minogue
Pimp Juice – Nelly
Valentine – Old 97s
Get to Love – The Old Ceremony
Knowing – OutKast
Running Down a Dream – Tom Petty
See Emily Play – Pink Floyd
U.N.I.T.Y. – Queen Latifah
Hey Mickey – The Riplets
The Gambler – Kenny Rogers
Rain Fall Down – The Rolling Stones
Walking in the Rain – The Ronettes
Gettin' Jiggy Wit It – Will Smith
Gz and Hustlas – Snoop Doggy Dogg
I've Just Seen a Face – Jim Sturgess
Teardrops on My Guitar – Taylor Swift
The Kids Don't Stand a Chance – Vampire Weekend
Walcott – Vampire Weekend
The Yes We Can Song - Will.i.am
Charles Town Races and Slots Jingle
Sleep Country USA Jingle

No comments: